Adults over 35 lose more teeth to gum (periodontal) disease than from cavities. Three out of four adults are affected at sometime in their life. The best way to prevent cavities and periodontal disease is good tooth brushing and flossing techniques, performed daily and regular hygiene maintenance visits every six months.
Regular checkups can enable us to detect and treat any problems such as decay or gum disease at an early stage and therefore reduce the need for complex treatment.
- Brush teeth twice a day.
- Floss your teeth once a day.
- Replace your toothbrush every three months.
- Have regular checkups and professional cleaning every six months.
- Consume tap water as it contains fluoride for added protection.
- Limit sweet and acidic drinks including juice, cordial, sport drinks and flavoured milk.
- Limit sweet and sticky foods and have reasonable intervals between meals.